Sunday, February 13, 2011

Daddy gone restaurant?

This is often what AP asks when her father is not home. He works at a restaurant near our place and yes, often he is there when he is not home. But this Wednesday, he will be travelling out of the country, to Ghana, for almost 8 weeks. I really have no idea what to expect. What will I say when she asks me where he is? She knows the word “Ghana” and she knows that it’s “far away”, but that’s about it. Since he often works nights, she’s used to going to bed without him around and she’s gotten into the routine of kissing a picture of him before going to sleep. I am definitely the one who spends more time with her, for a bunch of reasons, but she is definitely very attached to her daddy and to our routine. Lately he's been taking her to daycare in the mornings, and I leave before she wakes up. The girl loves structure, like most toddlers do I think, and I’m worried about the interruption. I’m not too worried about myself and how I’ll cope, but I really feel unprepared for her reaction. Any tips on what I can say to her in preparation and when he's actually gone? Thanks.

A.