Saturday, March 5, 2011

M - Putting Things Into Perspective

Things have been rough around here lately....two babies, double ear infection, starting daycare, basement renos, etc. etc. So rough in fact that I usually collapse into bed by 9:30 (If I'm lucky and Loïc goes down that early) and think about how rough life has gotten.

It was amazing timing then to receive this (sorry for the link, for some reason I can't copy and paste into this box) in an email from S. Shortly after, I was telling a friend in a similar situation with two little ones about the oak tree analogy and she told me that at the end of the day when she also collapses into bed, she reflects upon the rough parts of her day - but she reflects upon how short lived they really were in the grand scheme of things. "Wow, that was a really intense hour I had".

This really got me thinking and taking note. The most challening parts of my day were in fact not adding up in hours like they felt! In reality, there would maybe be an hour or hour and a half stretch that felt like hell but really, it was just an hour or hour and a half. What about the other hours in my day?

So now, I try my best to channel the oak tree and to put my day into perspective. It's so easy to focus on the difficult and negative parts and to let that drain and frustrate me, but really, I'm forgetting about the amazing and funny moments with Rand and Loïc - and trust me, there are a lot of those too!