Friday, March 18, 2011

Clocking out for the day

When Alex takes a nice long nap, I occasionally get a couple of hours to myself to do some laundry, tidy up or sew. When he doesn't take a long nap (or no napping at all) I get very little time to myself. Even bathroom time is rarely solo. I put in 12 hour days. Everyday. There's also the occasional night time shift. Can you imagine if an employer made you work those hours. Oh wait. I have had crappy jobs where breaks are non-existant. What I did at those jobs is the same thing I do now. I take it upon myself to take a break. When Alex finally goes to bed for the night, I am off duty. I stop the dishes (too noisy anyway), and ignore the laundry that needs folding (there's always more laundry!). I read, or watch a movie, or sew, or just surf the internet for a bit before collapsing into bed. I once complained it's too difficult to iron while Alex is awake and my husband suggested I iron after he goes to bed. Umm no. That's like bringing home work from the office. I don't get paid enough for that.
It's done wonders for my mental health. I'm much happier having a bit of time to myself where NOTHING is required of me. Until the cat coughs up a hairball or mister wakes up from noisy neighbours, and then I'm on duty again. It's about putting on your own oxygen mask first, before helping others to put theirs on.